Raphaël Glucksmann in 2020.
|Member of the European Parliament|
|Assumed office |
2 July 2019
|Born|| (1979-10-15) 15 October 1979 (age 43)|
|Political party||Place Publique|
|Spouse||Eka Zguladze (divorced)|
|Domestic partner||Léa Salamé|
|Alma mater||Sciences Po|
Raphaël Glucksmann (French pronunciation: [ʁafaɛl ɡlyksman], born 15 October 1979) is a French journalist, film director, and political figure. In May 2019, he was elected a member of the European Parliament, within the S&D alliance.
Early life and career
Glucksmann is the son of philosopher André Glucksmann. Between 2005 and 2012, he was an adviser to former President of Georgia Mikheil Saakashvili.
Member of the European Parliament, 2019–present
On 26 May 2019, Place publique and the French Socialist Party presented a joint list at the European Parliament election, with Glucksmann as the head, under the title "Envie d'Europe, écologique et sociale". The list obtained a total of 6.2%, thereby securing the election of six Members to the European Parliament: Glucksmann, Sylvie Guillaume, Eric Andrieu, Aurore Lalucq, Pierre Larrouturou, Nora Mebarek.
In Parliament, Glucksmann has since been serving on the Committee on Foreign Affairs and its Subcommittee on Human Rights. Since 2020, he has been also chairing the Special Committee on "Special Committee on Foreign Interference in all Democratic Processes in the European Union, including Disinformation".
In his parliamentary work, Glucksmann has focused attention on the Xinjiang re-education camps, for which he has been sanctioned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China.
In May 2021, Glucksmann joined a group of 39 mostly Green Party lawmakers from the European Parliament who in a letter urged the leaders of Germany, France and Italy not to support Arctic LNG 2, a $21 billion Russian Arctic liquefied natural gas (LNG) project, due to climate change concerns.
In November 2021, Glucksmann led a group of seven Members of the European Parliament to Taiwan to send a strong signal in support of the self-ruling island, despite a threat of retaliation from China.
- Je vous parle de liberté, with Mikheil Saakashvili, Paris, Hachette Livre, 2008, ISBN 978-2012376489.
- Mai 68 expliqué à Nicolas Sarkozy, with André Glucksmann, 2008, ISBN 978-2207260074.
- Génération gueule de bois, Manuel de lutte contre les réacs, Allary Éditions, 2015, ISBN 978-2370730404.
- Notre France. Dire et aimer ce que nous sommes, Allary Éditions, 2016.
- Les Enfants du vide. De l'impasse individualiste au réveil citoyen, Allary Éditions, 2018, ISBN 978-2370731623.
- Lettre à la génération qui va tout changer, Allary Éditions, 2021, ISBN 9782370731418.
- ^ "Européennes : Place publique, le pari citoyen de Raphaël Glucksmann". Le Parisien. 29 October 2018. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- ^ "Européennes, le PS se range derrière Raphaël Glucksmann". La Croix. 16 March 2019. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- ^ Official homepage of the list “Envie d'Europe, écologique et sociale”.
- ^ European elections 2019: official results.
- ^ Members of the Special Committee on Foreign Interference in all Democratic Processes in the European Union European Parliament, press release of July 9, 2020.
- ^ Clothilde Goujard (25 January 2022), Lawmakers want to step up fight against foreign meddling in EU affairs Politico Europe.
- ^ Members Responsible Business Conduct Working Group.
- ^ Board & Members Spinelli Group.
- ^ Rosman, Rebecca (1 October 2020). "One French politician fights to expose China's Uighur concentration camps". Public Radio International. Retrieved 14 October 2020.
- ^ Irish, John (23 March 2021). Evans, Catherine (ed.). "France summons Chinese envoy over 'unacceptable' insults". Reuters.
The United States, the European Union, Britain and Canada imposed sanctions on Chinese officials on Monday for human rights abuses in Xinjiang, in the first such coordinated Western action against Beijing under new U.S President Joe Biden. In retaliation, the Chinese Foreign Ministry sanctioned several European nationals, including French Member of the European Parliament Raphaël Glucksmann.
- ^ Kate Abnett and Simon Jessop (19 May 2021), EU lawmakers urge France, Germany, Italy to ditch Arctic LNG 2 support Reuters.
- ^ Sarah Anne Aarup and Stuart Lau (November 2, 2021), MEPs set to land in Taiwan on Tuesday, defying Beijing Politico Europe.
- ^ "Dans la famille Glucksmann, le fils est conseiller de président" [In the Glucksmann family, the son is an advisor to the president]. Le Monde (in French). 5 October 2011. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- ^ Garin, Clément (14 March 2017). "Léa Salamé a accouché : découvrez le joli prénom de son bébé". Télé Star. Retrieved 8 January 2019.
- Mathilde Androuët
- Jordan Bardella
- Nicolas Bay
- Aurélia Beigneux
- Dominique Bilde
- Annika Bruna
- Patricia Chagnon
- Gilbert Collard
- Marie Dauchy
- Jean-Paul Garraud
- Catherine Griset
- Maxette Grisoni-Pirbakas
- Jean-François Jalkh
- France Jamet
- Virginie Joron
- Hervé Juvin
- Jean-Lin Lacapelle
- Gilles Lebreton
- Thierry Mariani
- Éric Minardi
- Philippe Olivier
- Jérôme Rivière
- André Rougé
- Stéphane Bijoux
- Gilles Boyer
- Sylvie Brunet
- Pascal Canfin
- Catherine Chabaud
- Ilana Cicurel
- Jérémy Decerle
- Laurence Despaux-Farreng
- Pascal Durand
- Sandro Gozi
- Christophe Grudler
- Bernard Guetta
- Valérie Hayer
- Pierre Karleskind
- Fabienne Keller
- Nathalie Loiseau
- Max Orville
- Dominique Riquet
- Stéphane Séjourné
- Irène Tolleret
- Véronique Trillet-Lenoir
- Marie-Pierre Vedrenne
- Stéphanie Yon-Courtin